Here is a re-mixed version of my turkey wrapped breakfast muffins! Equally tasty and completely vegetarian. Great way to ensure your daily servings of vegetables.
Ingredients for 12 loaded muffins:
12 thick slices raw zucchini (equal to about 1.5 large zucchini)
6 egg whites
500g sweet potato (measured uncooked)
3/4 cup mozzarella cheese
2/3 cup red bell pepper (chopped)
2/3 cup green bell pepper (chopped)
1/2 cup Portobello mushroom (chopped)
Seasonings: garlic powder, Italian seasoning, sea salt, pepper
1. Set oven to 405F.
2. Measure out portion of sweet potato and chop into pieces. Season with Italian seasoning, garlic,
sea salt and pepper and place on a baking sheet. Bake in the oven for about 20 minutes at 405F.
3. Slice zucchini into strips about the thickness of a nickel using a mandolin.
4. Chop up your veggies and set aside.
5. Beat eggs in a bowl. Set aside.
6. Spray a muffin pan with baking spray.
7. Add 1 strip of zucchini to a muffin mold to form a ring.
8. Add a few pieces of baked sweet potato and then chopped veggies. 9. Carefully spoon egg into the muffin molds, covering the potato and veggies, then top with
10. Bake in the oven for about 35 minutes at 375F or until the egg is completely cooked.
11. When they are finished baking, allow to cool for a few minutes before removing from the mold.
12. Enjoy them while they are warm.
Approximate macros for 1 of 12 muffins:
102 calories, 8g protein, 11g carbs, 3g fat, 2g fiber, 3g sugar
About the Author
Kevin is a fitness enthusiast out of Dallas, TX. When he saw himself in his friend’s Facebook photo he knew it was time to make a change. He was overweight, felt sluggish and had steadily rising blood pressure. So, he did what many people try to do – he started exercising to try to “out train” a poor diet. He quickly learned through periods of weight cycling that if he was going to accomplish his fitness goals, it would have to be through a steady, healthy diet, complemented by hard work in the gym.
He started studying nutrition and got started cooking! In 2012 Kevin started a small blog to share his meals online in order to build a community around healthy food ideas.
The blog was called Fit Men Cook and it had a simple message and belief system – “Our bodies are built in the kitchen, Sculpted in the gym.”
Kevin firmly believes that healthier food options do not have to be boring. Ever. In fact, they are pretty tasty!
Fit (Wo)Men Cook is the “fit” story of all of us. It is taking your individual success stories and things (in nutrition & fitness) that have worked for you, and sharing those ideas with the masses so we can all grow, improve together. Just everyday people – no matter the fitness level or athletic ability – aiming to live the best life possible through fitness and healthy eating. Are you a Fit (Wo)Men Cook?
You can find Kevin and follow the Fit Men Cook movement online at: