Besides being considered a superfood because it is packed with a variety of healthy fats and nutrients, avocados are among the most versatile foods to enhance any dish and liven any diet. And when you run out of ideas, simply stuff them. Keep it easy, simple & delicious. Boom.
• 5oz tilapia (measured raw)
• 1/2 large Haas avocado
• 1/2 cup black beans (cooked)
• 1/3 cup corn (steamed)
• 1 oz pico de gallo
• fresh lime
1. Either bake raw tilapia in the oven, OR use your cooked tilapia from your weekly meal preparation. If you bake in the oven, simply lightly season with sea salt, pepper, garlic and cumin.
2. Slice an avocado in half and remove the pit. Slice the inside of the avocado horizontally & vertically to create cubes, and remove them with a spoon. Dice larger chunks into smaller cubes.
3. In a bowl mix diced avocado, black beans, corn & pico de gallo. Season to taste using sea salt & pepper and fresh cilantro.
4. Flake tilapia into a bowl using a fork. Toss it into the bowl with other ingredients and mix.
5. Re-stuff the avocado or simply eat as a salad. Another great option is to pour it over a bed of fresh, raw spinach.
About the Author
Kevin is a fitness enthusiast out of Dallas, TX. When he saw himself in his friend’s Facebook photo he knew it was time to make a change. He was overweight, felt sluggish and had steadily rising blood pressure. So, he did what many people try to do – he started exercising to try to “out train” a poor diet. He quickly learned through periods of weight cycling that if he was going to accomplish his fitness goals, it would have to be through a steady, healthy diet, complemented by hard work in the gym.
He started studying nutrition and got started cooking! In 2012 Kevin started a small blog to share his meals online in order to build a community around healthy food ideas.
The blog was called Fit Men Cook and it had a simple message and belief system – “Our bodies are built in the kitchen, Sculpted in the gym.”
Kevin firmly believes that healthier food options do not have to be boring. Ever. In fact, they are pretty tasty!
Fit (Wo)Men Cook is the “fit” story of all of us. It is taking your individual success stories and things (in nutrition & fitness) that have worked for you, and sharing those ideas with the masses so we can all grow, improve together. Just everyday people – no matter the fitness level or athletic ability – aiming to live the best life possible through fitness and healthy eating. Are you a Fit (Wo)Men Cook?
You can find Kevin and follow the Fit Men Cook movement online at: