If you’re pressed for time but the hunger is intense, nothing beats a spicy beef broccoli bowl with Basmati brown rice. A buddy of mine sent me a text that he was going to stop by for lunch and I was able to prepare this skillet meal in 15-minutes. Here’s how I did it!
Ingredients for 1 serving:
• 6oz flank steak
• 1/2 cup Basmati brown rice
• 1 cup broccoli
• 1/3 cup red bell pepper slices
• Optional ingredients: cilantro, lime
• Seasonings: chili pepper paste, fresh garlic
1. Cut your portion of flank steak into pieces and season with chili pepper paste and fresh garlic.
2. Cut the red bell pepper into pieces.
3. Set a nonstick skillet on medium heat and lightly spray with coconut oil. When the skillet is hot, toss in the meat and let it sear on one side.
4. Once seared, flip the meat over and add broccoli and bell pepper pieces. Stir the mixture with a spatula, ensuring all sides of the meat, broccoli and bell peppers are cooked/seared.
5. Remove from heat and pour over cooked Basmati brown rice. Add cilantro and fresh lime juice for added flavor. You can also add about 1/2 tbsp Bragg’s Liquid Aminos. Boom.
About the Author
Kevin is a fitness enthusiast out of Dallas, TX. When he saw himself in his friend’s Facebook photo he knew it was time to make a change. He was overweight, felt sluggish and had steadily rising blood pressure. So, he did what many people try to do – he started exercising to try to “out train” a poor diet. He quickly learned through periods of weight cycling that if he was going to accomplish his fitness goals, it would have to be through a steady, healthy diet, complemented by hard work in the gym.
He started studying nutrition and got started cooking! In 2012 Kevin started a small blog to share his meals online in order to build a community around healthy food ideas.
The blog was called Fit Men Cook and it had a simple message and belief system – “Our bodies are built in the kitchen, Sculpted in the gym.”
Kevin firmly believes that healthier food options do not have to be boring. Ever. In fact, they are pretty tasty!
Fit (Wo)Men Cook is the “fit” story of all of us. It is taking your individual success stories and things (in nutrition & fitness) that have worked for you, and sharing those ideas with the masses so we can all grow, improve together. Just everyday people – no matter the fitness level or athletic ability – aiming to live the best life possible through fitness and healthy eating. Are you a Fit (Wo)Men Cook?
You can find Kevin and follow the Fit Men Cook movement online at: