Well, it’s not your mom’s homestyle chicken noodle soup, but it does the trick when you are pressed for cash and need to fuel your body. All you need to do is purchase a rotisserie chicken from your local grocery store, remove the skin and boom – you have instant, delicious protein for several meals.
● 4 oz cooked rotisserie chicken (pulled)
● ⅓ cup wheat pasta shells
● ½ cup chicken broth (low sodium)
● 1 tbsp 2% Greek yogurt
● ¼ cup diced carrots
● ¼ cup chopped celery
● ¼ cup diced mushrooms (optional)
● fresh parsley
● Seasonings to taste: 1 tsp cumin, pepper, garlic, onion powder, Mrs. Dash poultry seasoning
1. Set oven to 405F.
2. In a pot, boil and cook your wheat pasta. Rinse and set aside.
3. Dice your raw carrots and mushrooms.
4. Weigh and pull apart 4 oz baked chicken meat. In a small disposable ramekin or baking dish, add chicken, pasta, greek yogurt, veggies and seasonings. Stir with a spoon or mini-spatula.
5. Pour chicken broth over the mixture, ensuring that a majority of the noodles are covered so that when baking, they will not burn.
6. Top with fresh parsley.
7. Bake in the oven for 20-25 minutes. Remove from the oven and enjoy. If you are doing this as a prepped meal for the week, be sure to transfer contents to a microwave safe container.
347 calories, 39g protein, 33g carbs, 3g fat
About the Author
Kevin is a fitness enthusiast out of Dallas, TX. When he saw himself in his friend’s Facebook photo he knew it was time to make a change. He was overweight, felt sluggish and had steadily rising blood pressure. So, he did what many people try to do – he started exercising to try to “out train” a poor diet. He quickly learned through periods of weight cycling that if he was going to accomplish his fitness goals, it would have to be through a steady, healthy diet, complemented by hard work in the gym.
He started studying nutrition and got started cooking! In 2012 Kevin started a small blog to share his meals online in order to build a community around healthy food ideas.
The blog was called Fit Men Cook and it had a simple message and belief system – “Our bodies are built in the kitchen, Sculpted in the gym.”
Kevin firmly believes that healthier food options do not have to be boring. Ever. In fact, they are pretty tasty!
Fit (Wo)Men Cook is the “fit” story of all of us. It is taking your individual success stories and things (in nutrition & fitness) that have worked for you, and sharing those ideas with the masses so we can all grow, improve together. Just everyday people – no matter the fitness level or athletic ability – aiming to live the best life possible through fitness and healthy eating. Are you a Fit (Wo)Men Cook?
You can find Kevin and follow the Fit Men Cook movement online at: