Sometimes you need a recipe that is quick, easy, filling and nutritious. And you can pretty much never go wrong with TexMex when you’re hungry. So, why not take a heart healthier spin on a TexMex favorite – the quesadilla?!
The good thing about quesadillas is that you can ALWAYS make them your own and make healthier versions of them, so really, there’s no excuse here. Try these guacamole stuffed quesadillas, great for dinner or game day!
Ingredients for 4 quesadillas:
• 4 low-carb and gluten-free tortillas (I used Guiltless Foods)
o 2 large ripe avocados
o 1 diced roma tomato
o 1/2 diced red onion
o 1/4 cup chopped cilantro
o pinch of cumin
o sea salt & pepper to taste
o fresh lime juice to taste
• spray olive oil
1. In a bowl, add the ripe avocado and mash it with a mallet or fork until is smooth yet has some chunks. Then toss in the rest of the ingredients and mix together.
2. Evenly divide and spread the guacamole on half of each tortilla then fold the tortilla to close it.
3. Spray a nonstick skillet with olive oil and then set the skillet on medium-high heat.
4. Once the pan is not, cook the quesadillas on each side for about 2 minutes or until the tortilla becomes golden brown and the edges began to crisp. Flip the tortilla over using a spatula and repeat.
Approximate macros for 1 quesadilla:
295 calories, 8g protein, 17g carbs, 23g fat, 12g fiber, 2g sugar
About the Author
Kevin is a fitness enthusiast out of Dallas, TX. When he saw himself in his friend’s Facebook photo he knew it was time to make a change. He was overweight, felt sluggish and had steadily rising blood pressure. So, he did what many people try to do – he started exercising to try to “out train” a poor diet. He quickly learned through periods of weight cycling that if he was going to accomplish his fitness goals, it would have to be through a steady, healthy diet, complemented by hard work in the gym.
He started studying nutrition and got started cooking! In 2012 Kevin started a small blog to share his meals online in order to build a community around healthy food ideas.
The blog was called Fit Men Cook and it had a simple message and belief system – “Our bodies are built in the kitchen, Sculpted in the gym.”
Kevin firmly believes that healthier food options do not have to be boring. Ever. In fact, they are pretty tasty!
Fit (Wo)Men Cook is the “fit” story of all of us. It is taking your individual success stories and things (in nutrition & fitness) that have worked for you, and sharing those ideas with the masses so we can all grow, improve together. Just everyday people – no matter the fitness level or athletic ability – aiming to live the best life possible through fitness and healthy eating. Are you a Fit (Wo)Men Cook?
You can find Kevin and follow the Fit Men Cook movement online at: