Do you have leftover mashed potatoes from the holidays or from your weekly meal prep? Well, here’s a quick way to turn those potatoes into muscle-building fuel for you and your family. These are easy to customize so you can add your own “flavor” and truly call it one of your creations.
Ingredients for 7 small cakes:
• 500g red potato (baked or cooked)
• 1/4 cup parmesan (or goat cheese)
• 1/4 cup green onions
• 1 egg
• Seasonings: salt & pepper, 1tbsp minced garlic
• Optional ingredient: 1tbsp Greek yogurt instead of sour cream & butter after the cake has been made.
1. Mash cooked & chilled red potatoes in a bowl. If you are making this from scratch, be sure to let the potatoes cool down before proceeding with this recipe.
2. Add parmesan, green onions, 1 whole egg and your choice of seasonings to the mashed potato mixture. Mash and mix together using your hands.
3. Form small palm-sized balls using your hands and then gently mash so that they form patties. Repeat until all the ingredients have been used. **TIP: for accuracy, measure (weigh) the potato mixture first and then divide that by 6 or 7 patties to know roughly how big each patty should be.**
4. Set a nonstick skillet on medium-high heat and lightly spray with coconut or olive oil.
5. Place the patties in the skillet and cook until brown; then flip them over on the other side and cook until brown.
6. Enjoy these with Greek yogurt instead of sour cream.
About the Author
Kevin is a fitness enthusiast out of Dallas, TX. When he saw himself in his friend’s Facebook photo he knew it was time to make a change. He was overweight, felt sluggish and had steadily rising blood pressure. So, he did what many people try to do – he started exercising to try to “out train” a poor diet. He quickly learned through periods of weight cycling that if he was going to accomplish his fitness goals, it would have to be through a steady, healthy diet, complemented by hard work in the gym.
He started studying nutrition and got started cooking! In 2012 Kevin started a small blog to share his meals online in order to build a community around healthy food ideas.
The blog was called Fit Men Cook and it had a simple message and belief system – “Our bodies are built in the kitchen, Sculpted in the gym.”
Kevin firmly believes that healthier food options do not have to be boring. Ever. In fact, they are pretty tasty!
Fit (Wo)Men Cook is the “fit” story of all of us. It is taking your individual success stories and things (in nutrition & fitness) that have worked for you, and sharing those ideas with the masses so we can all grow, improve together. Just everyday people – no matter the fitness level or athletic ability – aiming to live the best life possible through fitness and healthy eating. Are you a Fit (Wo)Men Cook?
You can find Kevin and follow the Fit Men Cook movement online at: