Parmesan popcorn shrimp – you know love the sound of it! And what’s more – your body will thank you for this delicious, nutritious take on a popular food that is usually covered in grease! This easy recipe uses toasted whole wheat or Ezekiel bread, reduced fat parmesan cheese and 1 egg. I guarantee this is a recipe your family, especially kids, will enjoy. Boom.
Ingredients for 1 or 2 servings:
• 1/2 pound raw shrimp (peeled and deveined)
• 2 slices whole wheat bread (or Ezekiel bread)
• 1/2 cup reduced fat parmesan cheese
• Seasonings for crumb batter: garlic, sea salt, Mrs. Dash, pepper
1. Set oven to 375F.
2. Toast pieces of bread. Add the toast to a blender or food processor to make bread crumbs.
3. In a bowl, mix bread crumbs, garlic, sea salt, Mrs. Dash (seasoning of your choice), pepper and parmesan.
4. In another bowl, beat an egg.
5. Dip the raw shrimp in the egg and then into the bread crumb mixture. Place it on a baking sheet. Repeat the process until all of the pieces of shrimp are covered in bread crumbs and on the baking sheet.
6. Bake the shrimp in the oven for 7 minutes or until shrimp is fully cooked.
About the Author
Kevin is a fitness enthusiast out of Dallas, TX. When he saw himself in his friend’s Facebook photo he knew it was time to make a change. He was overweight, felt sluggish and had steadily rising blood pressure. So, he did what many people try to do – he started exercising to try to “out train” a poor diet. He quickly learned through periods of weight cycling that if he was going to accomplish his fitness goals, it would have to be through a steady, healthy diet, complemented by hard work in the gym.
He started studying nutrition and got started cooking! In 2012 Kevin started a small blog to share his meals online in order to build a community around healthy food ideas.
The blog was called Fit Men Cook and it had a simple message and belief system – “Our bodies are built in the kitchen, Sculpted in the gym.”
Kevin firmly believes that healthier food options do not have to be boring. Ever. In fact, they are pretty tasty!
Fit (Wo)Men Cook is the “fit” story of all of us. It is taking your individual success stories and things (in nutrition & fitness) that have worked for you, and sharing those ideas with the masses so we can all grow, improve together. Just everyday people – no matter the fitness level or athletic ability – aiming to live the best life possible through fitness and healthy eating. Are you a Fit (Wo)Men Cook?
You can find Kevin and follow the Fit Men Cook movement online at: