This is a delicious after-school, after work or in-between meals snack, filling, delicious and healthy. Combining different styles and cultures in meals is a great way to bring creativity to your diet. This is a fusion dish where Mediterranean-inspired cuisine (hummus) meets Latin-cuisine (quesadilla) – flavor overload.
Ingredients for 2 chicken quesadillas and 2 mushroom quesadillas:
1/4 cup homemade red pepper hummus
10oz chicken breast raw
1 large Portobello mushroom cap (chopped into pieces)
4 small 100-calorie multigrain tortillas
1 small avocado (sliced into 4 equal portions)
4 tablespoons goat cheese
1/2 cup chopped red onion
2 tablespoons minced garlic
fresh cilantro (garnish)
pico de gallo (garnish)
coconut oil spray
1. Spray a nonstick skillet with coconut oil spray and set on medium-high heat.
2. Sear 1 tablespoon of minced garlic in the skillet, then toss in chopped mushrooms. Sear and cook for about 3 minutes, stirring quickly with a spatula so that the mushroom does not completely wilt. Set the mushroom aside in a separate bowl.
3. Repeat Step 2 but instead of adding mushrooms, add chicken breast. Cook the chicken for about 12 to 15 minutes or until the meat is white when cut and the juices run clear.
4. Chop vegetables. Thinly slice red onions, chop up fresh cilantro and remove the pit from the avocado and cut into thin Zlices.
5. Spread about 2 tablespoons (1/8 cup) of red pepper hummus on each wheat tortilla.
6. On one side of the tortilla, add half of chopped chicken breast (or half of sautéed mushrooms), a few red onion slices, one tablespoon goat cheese, a fourth portion of avocado and fresh cilantro.
7. Fold the quesadilla in half.
8. Spray a nonstick skillet with coconut oil and set on medium heat. Allow the skillet to heat up.
9. Add the quesadilla to the skillet and cook for about 2 minutes on each side. Be sure to press down on the quesadilla using a spatula so that it flattens out.
10. Remove from the skillet and enjoy with fresh pico de gallo, Greek yogurt or salsa.
Approximate macros for 1 chicken quesadilla using 5oz raw chicken breast:
377 calories, 41g protein, 27g carbohydrates, 13g fat, 7g fiber, 3g sugar
Approximate macros for 1 vegetarian quesadilla using Portobello mushrooms:
240 calories, 9g protein, 30g carbohydrates, 11g fat, 8g fiber, 3g sugar
About the Author
Kevin is a fitness enthusiast out of Dallas, TX. When he saw himself in his friend’s Facebook photo he knew it was time to make a change. He was overweight, felt sluggish and had steadily rising blood pressure. So, he did what many people try to do – he started exercising to try to “out train” a poor diet. He quickly learned through periods of weight cycling that if he was going to accomplish his fitness goals, it would have to be through a steady, healthy diet, complemented by hard work in the gym.
He started studying nutrition and got started cooking! In 2012 Kevin started a small blog to share his meals online in order to build a community around healthy food ideas.
The blog was called Fit Men Cook and it had a simple message and belief system – “Our bodies are built in the kitchen, Sculpted in the gym.”
Kevin firmly believes that healthier food options do not have to be boring. Ever. In fact, they are pretty tasty!
Fit (Wo)Men Cook is the “fit” story of all of us. It is taking your individual success stories and things (in nutrition & fitness) that have worked for you, and sharing those ideas with the masses so we can all grow, improve together. Just everyday people – no matter the fitness level or athletic ability – aiming to live the best life possible through fitness and healthy eating. Are you a Fit (Wo)Men Cook?
You can find Kevin and follow the Fit Men Cook movement online at: