Ever caught yourself randomly dreaming or thinking of a delicious meal you’ve had before? Well, that was me the other night while I was up working late on a project. And what was on my mind? A delicious, flavorful gyro that I had eaten a few months ago when I was in NYC. The image was so vivid I could literally smell it. So, suffice to say, my project took a backseat while I headed to the kitchen in hopes of recreating that same feeling.
I only had flank steak, a few veggies, goat cheese, Greek yogurt and sriracha. You can’t have a gyro without yogurt sauce. So, I started experimenting and 1 hour later, I knew I had something so I shared it on Twitter.
I took an extra day to “spice up” the ingredient list, pack it full of vitamins by tossing in an assortment of veggies and boost the lean protein content with chicken breast. It quickly became epic!
150g cooked chicken breast
1 whole wheat pita bread
1 serving Sriracha yogurt dressing (but I like to use 2 servings because the sauce really brings the flavors together)
1 tbsp goat cheese crumble
1 cup mâche rosette (or other green)
2 thick cooked asparagus spears (roasted/steamed and then chilled)
2 slices Roma tomato
1/8 cup thinly chopped red onion
Spray coconut oil
Seasonings: garlic paste, fresh ground pepper
1. Spray a nonstick skillet with coconut oil and set on medium heat.
2. Seasoning on chicken is not as important since most of the flavors will come from the sauce and fresh vegetables. So, I kept it simple and used garlic paste and fresh ground pepper to season the chicken breasts.
3. Add the chicken breasts to the skillet and cook. Slice the breasts into pieces, weigh out 150g and then set aside.
4. Place the pita bread in the microwave or hot oven for about 45 seconds in order to soften it.
5. Build your epic gyro.
6. Add sriracha yogurt dressing and the rest of the ingredients. Top with goat cheese.
7. Fold or roll the gyro and either place in foil or in a snack bag in order to prevent it from leaking.
8. Share a picture of your food on social media, tag #fitmencook and then…devour!
Approximate macross for 1 sandwich without Sriracha yogurt sauce:
454 calories, 36g carbs, 5g fat, 50g protein, 4g fiber, 4g sugar
Approximate macross for 1 sandwich WITH 1 serving of Sriracha yogurt sauce:
487 calories, 39g carbs, 6g fat, 53g protein, 4g fiber, 6g sugar
About the Author
Kevin is a fitness enthusiast out of Dallas, TX. When he saw himself in his friend’s Facebook photo he knew it was time to make a change. He was overweight, felt sluggish and had steadily rising blood pressure. So, he did what many people try to do – he started exercising to try to “out train” a poor diet. He quickly learned through periods of weight cycling that if he was going to accomplish his fitness goals, it would have to be through a steady, healthy diet, complemented by hard work in the gym.
He started studying nutrition and got started cooking! In 2012 Kevin started a small blog to share his meals online in order to build a community around healthy food ideas.
The blog was called Fit Men Cook and it had a simple message and belief system – “Our bodies are built in the kitchen, Sculpted in the gym.”
Kevin firmly believes that healthier food options do not have to be boring. Ever. In fact, they are pretty tasty!
Fit (Wo)Men Cook is the “fit” story of all of us. It is taking your individual success stories and things (in nutrition & fitness) that have worked for you, and sharing those ideas with the masses so we can all grow, improve together. Just everyday people – no matter the fitness level or athletic ability – aiming to live the best life possible through fitness and healthy eating. Are you a Fit (Wo)Men Cook?
You can find Kevin and follow the Fit Men Cook movement online at: