Breakfast for dinner is a sometimes forgotten about idea. With so many options available to us, making a simple quiche is a great way to make a one-dish meal that satisfies the heartiest of appetites, yet is light enough that it doesn’t just sit in your stomach. Today’s meal incorporates brown rice and carrots into the mix, making a savory, filling and tasty meal that starts and finishes in less than 30 minutes.
• 1 6-inch low fat pie crust, frozen
• 1 cup chopped broccoli
• 1/2 ea. yellow onion, diced
• 5 whole eggs
• 5 egg whites
• 1/2 cup 1% milk
• 1 tsp. garlic powder
• 1/2 cup low-fat Cheddar cheese, shredded
1. Pre-heat oven to 350 degrees. Place chopped broccoli and onion into pie crust, spreading evenly around the bottom. As a time saver, using frozen broccoli works also, just be sure to rinse the ice crystals off with cold running water, then pat dry before chopping.
2. In a large bowl, mix all the eggs together with the milk and whisk until well combined. Next, pour egg mixture over Broccoli and onion mixture.
3. Season with salt, pepper and garlic powder and place in oven for 20 minutes.
4. Remove quiche from oven (it won’t be fully cooked through just yet) and top with shredded cheese. Return to oven for an additional 10 minutes. Remove from oven and allow to rest for 3 minutes before slicing.
Yield: 1 6-inch quiche
1 slice = 1 serving
About the Author
Johnathan is a Culinary Nutritionist and professional Chef. With 10 years spent preparing gourmet cuisine across the United States, his passion for cooking and experience as a food professional allows him to create budget friendly fitness gourmet meals anyone can make. As a nutritionist, he helps others lead healthier lifestyles by integrating fitness habits into their daily routine. Johnathan’s firsthand knowledge having overcome obesity by losing 170 pounds enables him to offer his clients flexible and effective weight loss solutions.
Follow his healthy cooking secrets and motivating tips at www.facebook.com/johnathanthefitchef