I used to fear that I would lose muscle mass if I did not eat meat every single meal. I was wrong! There are several healthy foods, like legumes, that add good protein to your diet. Try this delicious black bean burger recipe that is sure to satisfy your taste buds while providing quality protein.
Ingredients for 3 patties:
• 1 can low sodium black beans
• ½ cup wheat germ
• 1 egg
• 1/8 cup red onion chopped
• Seasonings: 1 tbsp Mrs. Dash Chipotle, ½ tbsp red pepper, sea salt & pepper to taste
1. Pour cooked black beans into a bowl and mash using a fork or wooden mallet to create a paste.
2. Then, add wheat germ, seasonings, 1 egg and onions to the bowl with the
3. Mix the bean mixture together using your hands, or a spatula, to ensure
all the ingredients are thoroughly mixed.
4. Form three equally-sized hamburger patties.
5. Cook in a non-stick skillet. Ensure both sides of the patty are cooked
About the Author
Kevin is a fitness enthusiast out of Dallas, TX. When he saw himself in his friend’s Facebook photo he knew it was time to make a change. He was overweight, felt sluggish and had steadily rising blood pressure. So, he did what many people try to do – he started exercising to try to “out train” a poor diet. He quickly learned through periods of weight cycling that if he was going to accomplish his fitness goals, it would have to be through a steady, healthy diet, complemented by hard work in the gym.
He started studying nutrition and got started cooking! In 2012 Kevin started a small blog to share his meals online in order to build a community around healthy food ideas.
The blog was called Fit Men Cook and it had a simple message and belief system – “Our bodies are built in the kitchen, Sculpted in the gym.”
Kevin firmly believes that healthier food options do not have to be boring. Ever. In fact, they are pretty tasty!
Fit (Wo)Men Cook is the “fit” story of all of us. It is taking your individual success stories and things (in nutrition & fitness) that have worked for you, and sharing those ideas with the masses so we can all grow, improve together. Just everyday people – no matter the fitness level or athletic ability – aiming to live the best life possible through fitness and healthy eating. Are you a Fit (Wo)Men Cook?
You can find Kevin and follow the Fit Men Cook movement online at: