Need a 20-minute meal for you or your family? Stuffing bell peppers is a time-efficient and cost-effective method to pack in quality protein and complex carbohydrates in every bite.
Ingredients for 4 stuffed bell pepper halves:
8oz extra lean ground turkey
2 colorful bell peppers
1 can (15oz) black beans (low sodium)
1/2 cup tomato sauce (no salt)
1 roma tomato (chopped)
1 zucchini (chopped)
1 tbsp Italian seasoning
1/2 tbsp garlic paste
sea salt, pepper to taste
1 cup reduced fat mozzarella
1. Set oven to 405F.
2. Slice bell peppers in half (horizontally) to create 4 halves. Remove the seeds and the insides.
3. Place the halves on a baking sheet face down and bake for 8 – 10 minutes.
4. Set a nonstick skillet on medium high heat. Add ground turkey and garlic paste and cook.
5. When the turkey has nearly finished cooking, add in tomato, tomato sauce, beans and
zucchini. Stir. Add seasonings and add sea salt & pepper to taste. Cook uncovered for about 5
6. Evenly divide the mixture among the bell pepper halves and top each with about 1/4 cup
7. Place the stuffed bell peppers on a baking sheet; use foil to prop them up if needed.
8. Bake for 10 minutes at 405F.
Approximate macros for 1 of 4 halves:
229 calories, 23g carbs, 5g fat, 27g protein, 7g fiber, 9g sugar
About the Author
Kevin is a fitness enthusiast out of Dallas, TX. When he saw himself in his friend’s Facebook photo he knew it was time to make a change. He was overweight, felt sluggish and had steadily rising blood pressure. So, he did what many people try to do – he started exercising to try to “out train” a poor diet. He quickly learned through periods of weight cycling that if he was going to accomplish his fitness goals, it would have to be through a steady, healthy diet, complemented by hard work in the gym.
He started studying nutrition and got started cooking! In 2012 Kevin started a small blog to share his meals online in order to build a community around healthy food ideas.
The blog was called Fit Men Cook and it had a simple message and belief system – “Our bodies are built in the kitchen, Sculpted in the gym.”
Kevin firmly believes that healthier food options do not have to be boring. Ever. In fact, they are pretty tasty!
Fit (Wo)Men Cook is the “fit” story of all of us. It is taking your individual success stories and things (in nutrition & fitness) that have worked for you, and sharing those ideas with the masses so we can all grow, improve together. Just everyday people – no matter the fitness level or athletic ability – aiming to live the best life possible through fitness and healthy eating. Are you a Fit (Wo)Men Cook?
You can find Kevin and follow the Fit Men Cook movement online at: