For those chilly nights, I bring you this easy to make and delicious comfort food. Loaded with good for you nutrients that ward off infection and boost the immune system, this pumpkin and squash soup is perfect for retaining lean muscle while leaning out. Pair this soup with a side dish of cooked Quinoa or wheat berries for a filling vegetarian meal.
- 1 Tbs. extra virgin olive oil
- 2 cups Onions, chopped
- 3 ribs Celery, chopped
- 1 ea. Carrot, peeled and chopped
- 1 29 oz. can Pumpkin puree
- 1 ea. Butternut squash, peeled and pulp removed, cut into chunks
- 4 cups Vegetable stock
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- Garlic powder, to taste
- ½ tsp. cinnamon
- ¼ tsp. nutmeg
- 4 pods Cardamom, whole
Method of Preparation
1. Chop 2 onions and set aside. Using a chef’s knife, peel the squash and chop into large pieces.
2. In a large stock pot, heat olive oil over medium high heat. Add onions and season with salt, pepper and garlic powder. Cook until fragrant, about 4 minutes stirring occasionally.
3. Next, scoop pumpkin and squash to pot and add 6 cups vegetable stock. Add cinnamon and nutmeg. Stir until well dispersed. Let cook, uncovered for about 30 minutes, stirring occasionally.
4. After the squash has softened, use an immersion blender to puree the squash. Add 4 cardamom pods and reduce the heat to low. Allow to cook for 30 minutes.
5. Remove cardamom pods, strain the soup, if desired and serve hot and topped with parsley and 1/2 Tbs. of chopped pecans (optional).