Pumpkin pie protein shake
By Johnathan Zamora
Pumpkin is one of the most consumed foods in the United States between November 1st and December 31st. While many of us eat this wonder food only a couple of times each year, there are plenty of reasons to include it more often. Below are the top 5 reasons to give pumpkin a permanent spot on your plate- followed by a pumpkin pie protein shake recipe. Enjoy!
1. Help Aid Weight Loss – A 1 cup serving of pumpkin is only 50 calories and has 3g of fiber. A diet high in fiber leads people to eat fewer calories overall than those who do not include fiber. Pumpkin helps keep you feeling full for a longer period of time with minimal calories.
2. Don’t toss the seeds! – Pumpkin seeds are rich in a compound called phytosterols and have been linked to help reduce LDL or “bad” cholesterol plus provide an added boost for your skin, helping it looking young.
3. Reduce your cancer risk – Pumpkins contain beta carotene, which may play a role in reducing your risk of developing cancer. Beta carotene also helps reduce free radical damage and helps boost your immune system, a must for the upcoming winter months!
4. Pumpkins are good for your eyes – Pumpkins contain high amounts of Vitamin A, a powerful compound that is needed to maintain good visual sight.
5. Pumpkins help keep you healthy – Aside from Vitamin A, pumpkins contain high amounts of other vitamins and minerals, like Vitamin C, E, magnesium, potassium and iron. Together, these compounds help boost the immune system, minimize free radical damage – another reason to load up on this superfood!
Note: When buying pumpkin at the store, be careful to buy packed pumpkin and NOT pumpkin pie mix. The difference between the two is added fat and sugar, completely unnecessary calories.
Pumpkin Pie protein smoothie –
12 oz. skim milk
1 cup canned pumpkin
1/2 cup ricotta cheese, part skim
1 scoop vanilla ProV60
1/4 tsp. Cinnamon
1/4 tsp. Nutmeg
1 Tsp. Agave nectar
Method of Preparation
1. Place all ingredients into a blender and mix on high speed for about 45 seconds.
Nutritional Information (Per Serving)
30g Carbohydrates; 4g Fiber
The Fit Chef
Visit our YouTube Page at: www.youtube.com/labradanutrition
Click LIKE on our Facebook Fan Page at: http://www.facebook.com/#!/LabradaNutrition