Growing up in a Hispanic household, there were always delicious, mouthwatering foods being prepared in the kitchen. Beef tacos made with fried tortilla shells, burritos bursting with cheese and who can forget those refried beans?! There are two sides to every story, and this one started with great flavor but ended with a loosened belt.
Armed with today’s nutritional science, we can still prepare delectable meals that remain true to our roots while using ingredients that benefit the body and align with our fitness goals. After all eating healthy, great tasting food is our right.
On to the recipe:
Chicken Enchilada Bake
Yield: 4 generous servings
4 ea. Chicken breasts, boneless and skinless
1 cup diced Tomatoes, with juice
1 cup chicken stock
6 cloves Garlic, chopped
2 tsp. Olive oil
12 ea. Corn tortillas
1/2 cup Mozzarella cheese, low fat
1 cup Salsa verde
1/4 cup Greek yogurt, fat-free
1 tsp. cumin
1 tsp. garlic powder
1 tsp. black pepper
Method of Preparation
1. In a large skillet over medium high heat, add olive oil and sauté garlic until fragrant, about 2 minutes.
2. Add chicken breasts and sear, flipping once about 2 minutes per side. Add diced tomatoes and chicken stock – the liquid should come up about halfway up the pan.
3. Add seasonings to the mixture and stir. Reduce heat to a simmer and cook uncovered, about 20 minutes.
4. Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
5. Turn off the heat and shred the chicken breasts apart, using two forks works well. Mix the shredded chicken together in the poaching liquid to further enhance the flavors.
6. In a small casserole dish, layer corn tortillas, top with chicken mixture and a sprinkle of Mozzarella cheese and top with salsa verde. Repeat the process until you run out of ingredients. Drizzle the remaining salsa and cheese on the top layer.
7. Heat in the oven, about 8 minutes or until the cheese is melted. Slice into 4 servings and enjoy!
Nutritional Information- Per Serving
500 Calories; 39g Protein, 56g Carbohydrates, 7g Fiber, 11g Fat
The Fit Chef