With today’s hectic schedules, it seems as everyone is rushing to get here or there. I know there are days where I’m in a rush and can’t seem to get out the door fast enough. On top of everything on my agenda for the day, getting in a quality whole food breakfast can sometimes be a chore. I realize fast-food options are available, but I’d rather have a filling freshly prepared nutrient rich breakfast that will supercharge my energy levels and get my day off to a running start.
If this sounds familiar, I’ve got a great easy and simple recipe for you. The Baked Egg and Veggie Breakfast Sandwich.
What makes this dish unique is the fact that you can prepare it on a Saturday or Sunday morning and have plenty of meals to “grab and go” during with week. With only 45 minutes of preparation, you can enjoy a hearty meal for the entire week in just minutes without sacrificing taste or nutritional quality.
Here is what you will need: 3 dozen eggs whites; 6 whole eggs; 1 container of sliced mushrooms; 1 chopped onion, 3 bell peppers, chopped
- In a skillet on medium high heat, saute the mushrooms, onions and peppers in 1 Tbs. Extra Virgin Olive oil. Cook until heated through, about 6-8 minutes and set aside.
- Pre-heat oven to 350 degrees. Line a 16 x 9 sheet pan with parchment paper and arrange the vegetables evenly on the pan.
- Pour the egg whites and whole eggs onto the sheet pan, covering the vegetables.
- Cover the sheet pan with foil and place in the oven for 25 minutes.
- After 25 minutes, remove the foil from the pan and bake for 10 more minutes, uncovered.
- Remove the eggs from the oven and allow to cool for a few minutes. Cut into 8 equal portions (I use a pizza cutter which makes this step super easy)
- Separate the portions and wrap with plastic wrap and freeze until you need them. To re-heat, pop one portion in the microwave for 1 minute and enjoy.
With a little preparation, you can enjoy an awesome nutrient packed breakfast sandwich that you can eat anywhere.
Be sure to check out FitChefNutrition.com on Facebook for all the latest FitChef updates!
Makes 8 Servings
1 Serving: 370 Calories, 34g Protein, 53g Carbs, 8g Fat
The Fit Chef