We are always looking for the next new supplement or energy drink that gives a boost to our workouts or natural health. We decide to try many of the new fitness drinks and new vitamin drinks infused with nutrients to give us a better overall quality of life. However, maybe we should just slow down for a minute, and take a look around, and see what we already have around us. It’s the same ageless battle of “Old School” vs. “New School”. I am not knocking anything out there, because I think many of the drinks are beneficial to many. What I will argue is that maybe we are just overlooking or lacking the intake of what our bodies need most…water.
Here’s a quick breakdown of how important water is to our body:
– The human body is made up of anywhere between 55% to 78% water. A good rule of thumb is to know that the body is 2/3 water. Water is the main component of our body.
– Our brain consist of 90% water
– Blood is 83% water
– Muscles consist of 75% water
– Bone is 22% water
As you can see, every cell in the human body needs water. Thus, it is very important to stay hydrated throughout the day in order to fuel the body properly. (We will get into that in a little bit.)
Some of the functions of water in the body are as follows:
– Transports nutrients and oxygen into all of our cells.
– Protects and helps all organs absorb nutrients better.
– Regulates body temperature.
– Protects and lubricates/moisturizes all of our joints.
– Helps keep your metabolism high (fat burning).
– Moisturizes the air in our lungs.
In addition, water is critical for important processes like protein synthesis and fat burning! Cut the water supply and you negatively affect these processes!
Now let’s take a look at the advantages of water when drank cold and hot.
Drinking Cold Water:
– The stomach easily absorbs cold water and releases it faster into the intestinal tract; therefore leading to quicker hydration.
– Lowers body temperature after extensive exertion/working out.
– It can aid with digestion after meals.
– The best drink for overall health.
– Helps burn calories, which could lead to weight loss. (The body has to heat the water to 98.6 degrees, which requires energy, which leads to the burning of calories).
– The TRUE zero calorie drink with no added ingredients.
Drinking Hot Water:
– Hot water can be used to detox the body. Drinking 2 to 3 times per week will start the detox process. Make sure the water is not too hot to where it burns you, but it must be hot enough to make you perspire.
– Hot water can drain the nasal cavities, which really helps when you are fighting an illness or the common cold. The water vapor will help loosen up the nasal passages.
– The detoxification process really comes in handy when you are sick. The hot water will make you sweat and remove the toxins in your body, hopefully allowing you to recover faster.
Now that we’ve learned about the importance of water. Let’s take a look at what happens when we don’t get enough of this perfect fluid.
Symptoms of dehydration:
– Dark Urine – (Usually dark yellow or orange, with a strong odor. Pale or light yellow when sufficiently hydrated).
– Dry skin – skin is the largest organ of the body and requires plenty of water.
– Thirst – The most obvious sign of dehydration. If you are thirsty, you are already dehydrated or getting there. Don’t wait until it is too late to drink water. Drink when you are not thirsty; therefore bypassing the chance of becoming dehydrated.
– Fatigue – Water is the source of our energy, it can boost your energy levels
Effects of dehydration:
– Muscle Cramps
– Irregular Blood Pressure
– Kidney problems
– Dry skin
– Death – chance of once dehydration level hits 20%
The benefits of drinking water are endless. It is easily the most affordable beverage out there, and is by far the most healthy for you. There is no other beverage out there that can offer so much. Think about that next time you reach for that soda, or an empty calorie beverage. Water is a necessity for life, which means it is a necessity for you! Be sure to drink a minimum of 0.66 x bodyweight in ounces of water every day for maximum performance and health! Carry a water bottle with you and be sure to sip from it throughout the day. Drink up everybody!
…Stay Strong, Stay True.
About the Author
Michael Klamut was the 2011 Lean Body Challenge Grand Champion. Mike is a United States Air Force veteran (1997-2001) who works as a Radiologic Technologist (X-Ray Tech) during the day, and is a busy husband and father of two during the night. Mike entered his first bodybuilding competition and took 1st place in his Novice weight class (Middleweight) and Novice Overall. He takes great pride in helping others with their fitness goals and hopes to inspire and motivate everyone he comes into contact with. Mike is looking forward to helping all Labrada Nutrition fans reach their personal goal(s) and hopes to help them conquer any obstacle(s) that stands in their way. You can visit Mike Klamut’s website at: http://michaelklamut.wix.com/klamutfitness