Some days we are so rushed we think we don’t have time for breakfast but this quick, healthy, nutritionally balanced breakfast is super quick and easy and will kick start your day properly. This is also a great one on the day of an event you are trying to look nice and trim for as the asparagus will act as a mild and natural diuretic.
Ingredients : Serves 1
4 egg whites
½ cup of oats
1 tsp flax or olive oil
12 spears of asparagus
Water (to cook the oats and asparagus)
- Place the oats in a small bowl and pour just enought boiled water over them to cover them. Leave for 30 seconds-1 minute to cook and soften them (I don’t use microwaves ever but you can do if you prefer)
- Preheat your non-stick egg pan (use a non-stick pan and try and keep one that you use purely for eggs)
- Steam your asparagus until cooked as desired (I steam mine for 4-5mins as I like them slightly al dente)
- Drain the oats of any excess water and mix into the raw egg whites.
- Cook the egg and oat mix, run a spatula around the edges often to prevent from sticking. Once it’s firm/cooked enough to be able to turn it over carefully turn over and cook the other side. It takes about 2 minutes per side.
- Remove from pan once cooked and top w/1 tsp of flax or olive oil
- Add the side of asparagus.
- I don’t season mine but you could add garlic, onions, pepper or Mrs Dash no salt seasoning (try and stay away from salt to keep the sodium content down).
- Serve and enjoy
If you need more calories and/or certain macronutrients increase the amount of each ingredient, you could also use whole eggs instead of egg whites.
• Protein: 17 grams
• Carbohydrates: 37 grams
• Fat: 5.7 grams
• Calories: 219
If you prefer a sweeter start to your day add a few drops of liquid stevia to the raw egg mix before cooking and top with fresh fruit instead of/or as well as the asparagus.
Enjoy the journey to a healthier, fitter you
About the Author
Eve Dawes is an accomplished fitness professional and NPC athlete with international experience as a dancer, model, host and personal trainer. You can visit Eve at any of her following: