How To “KILL” Anorexia By First Healing Your Shattered Soul
by Cecile Bayeul
The majority of the time when we think of eating disorders, we talk about obesity. However, today I want to point a sickness that is not unknown; we just don’t talk about it because it is a SHAME for those who are affected by it. And it is also something that many who fight obesity fall into without even knowing. This horrible sickness is ANOREXIA.
It’s really hard to fight against obesity, but trust me, it is as hard (and perhaps even harder) to fight against anorexia. While some people think that all the anorexic has to do is just eat, the problem is much more complicated than that. While obesity can be dealt with by a simple decision to adopt a healthy lifestyle that involves diet and exercise, for anorexia, you first have to realize that you have a big problem. The problem is dealing with the horrible mental pain of thinking that you are still fat and also fearing food as you think that any sort of food (and even water) will get you fat.
If you are affected by anorexia, or know someone who is, in this article I will give you some tips that will help you to heal your shattered soul…
The first step to overcome this disease is to ACCEPT the fact that you’re SICK (OH YES, anorexia is a sickness and not a capricious mood).
You need to admit to yourself that you are not OK. Do NOT be ashamed of being sick and LEARN to believe in yourself. For doing so, ask yourself the RIGHT questions :
– “What scares you of taking the first step to healing ?”
Answer : I bet I know what scares you. Getting fat again and not being able to achieve the body of your dreams. Here is what I want you to know: The proper diet and exercise program WILL give you the body that you are looking for ! And you know what ? Your starvation diet will do the EXACT OPPOSITE.
Believe it or not, as crazy as it sounds, in order to lose fat and get toned you need to eat ! Eating the right combination of foods (lean proteins, complex carbs, and good fats) in a balanced ratio (40%, 40%, 20%) and in small portions throughout the day (every 3 hours) will feed your muscles and keep your metabolism going high all of the time!
And by investing in 30-40 minutes of fast paced weight training coupled with 20-30 minutes of cardio you will be creating lean muscle tissue which will further accelerate your metabolic rate while helping you lose fat and giving you the toned body that you are looking for ! Trust me, when it comes to exercise, short sessions give you the absolute best and fastest results. More IS NOT better ! Too much exercise increases cortisol levels, which in turn breaks down muscle and prevents the body from losing fat. By the way, not eating has the same effect on cortisol levels. I’ve been there ladies so I know what I am telling you.
– “Why do you think your training and eating plan will go wrong ?”
Answer : You fear that you may gain weight. I know, it is common to think that. One thing that I need to tell you is that you NEED TO STOP WORRYING ABOUT THE SCALE ! Muscle weighs more than fat. What that means is that while you may end up with a weight on the scale that could be considered “overweight” your measurements will be as tiny as ever. The scale does not differentiate between what is fat and what is muscle. Therefore, toss it away ! Focus on your measurements and on how you look.
– “What is the worst that can happen to you ?”
Answer : The SIMPLE answer is: “You will get the body that you so desperately want!”.
Remember that you are your own worst enemy. This little voice inside of your brain that talks to you down all day long and makes you feel that you will fail HAS TO DISSAPPEAR ! You are STRONG. You can do it ! Change negative thoughts into POSITIVE ONES that will give you the STRENGTH to make you push and fight HARDER. You have to rebuild your self-worth and self-esteem ! Don’t live by the scale number. Just believe in yourself and be PROUD of what you will accomplish !
Now that you worked on your inner voice you need to be REALISTIC !
Why do you think that it’s healthier to be VERY skinny when in reality it is the complete opposite ?! There are short and long-term consequences to Anorexia. Here are some examples of the side effects :
– Heart (slow/rapid/irregular pulse, low blood pressure, chest pain, electrolyte imbalances which may lead to cardiac arrhythmias and cardiac arrest….)
– Muscular and bones (stunted growth in children/teens, fractures more often, osteoporosis, muscular atrophy….)
– Mouth and teeth (enamel erosion, loss of teeth, gum disease, and oesophagitis, swollen salivary glands and blood due to induced vomiting….)
– Endocrine system (thyroid abnormalities, low energy /fatigue /dizziness/ faintness/ shortness of breath, cold intolerance due to low body temperature, hair thins out and may fall out completely….)
– Stomach and intestines (swell stomach, frequent constipation, painful and irregular bowel movements….)
– Mental side effects (difficulty concentrating or focusing, depression, anxiety….)
– And worst : complications associated with laxative abuse (kidney complications, colon malfunctions or complete collapse of the colon, electrolyte imbalance, dehydration dependence on laxatives….).
So now, do you still think that it is healthy to stop to eat ? All these side effects are the direct ones of your health. The other side effect that is as important as those is the IMAGE of yourself ! I know by experience that however you look like, you may never be 100% happy. You have to understand that the person you think you are is not the same than the real one in the mirror.
Again, don’t believe in your inner voice that tells you you’re “fat” or ugly, just KICK HER OUT !
Also, connect with others who have already beat anorexia and believe them when they tell you that you are stronger than the disease. Again, YOU CAN DO IT ! Remember you are so much more than your eating disorder.
After all that said, let’s move to the final step : THE PRACTICE.
– Take a diary. Write down all the negative aspects of living with an eating disorder and the reasons why you want to recover from it.
– After that, imagine your life without your eating disorder and write your thoughts down in another column.
– Write down all the things you were good at and you will be amazed at the amount of characteristics you have overlooked for such a long time. You will start to realize that you had a lot of good within you and that you have had a lot to give. You will be able to see by yourself, black on white, that there is much more advantages of recovering and healing than staying stuck into yourself imposed hell !
– Create a list of the dreams you can achieve without being sick.
– Create a PLAN on how to reach your goals. For example, start to eat regularly, and slowly increase the size of your portions. Start slowly to workout with weights in order to rebuild your muscles.
(Note: For diet and exercise plans, please feel free to check my other articles in this website and PLEASE do not hesitate to email me personally via this site.)
– Be sure to TOSS AWAY THE SCALE !
– Stick to your plan : CHALLENGE yourself.
When you don’t feel good and you get discouraged, breath and remind yourself how far you have come ! It’s already the FINAL step ! You did it !
– Praise yourself when you have reached a goal.
If you fall because you don’t reach one of the goals, NO WORRIES ! Get up after you have slipped and fallen. Setbacks happen to all of us !
Just make a list of all the goals you have already accomplished to show to yourself all the work you have done until now. Remember, be proud of yourself for every single step you have walk on the very long way. Little or big, progress is progress !
VERY IMPORTANT :
– Once again, STOP to be obsessed over the number on your scale (this one has to go to the TRASH 😉 )
To check out my previous article about Scale Weight click here: Why The Scale Can Be Your Worst Enemy To Losing Weight
As you really get into a proper diet and exercise program, you will see how you have FULL CONTROL of your body and the way it looks. Remember that only by adopting the proper fitness program, you can then build the beautiful, feminine, healthy and strong body that you really want. 🙂 Excessive exercise and no eating will lead to the opposite ! At the end of the day, it is not food that made you fat…instead, it was an abuse of the wrong sort of foods and a lack of physical activity that did.
So these are all the tips that I can give you that helped me to kick the anorexic habit on its rear end. I’ve done it ! So why not you ?! There is no difference between us.
Here is a progress picture that I’ve made for you. Unfortunately (or fortunately 😉 ), I don’t have a picture of me at my worst point :
A few Closing Words
– Once you are healed, please use your experience to inspire others. There are more people than you think who need to have a role model, trust me 😉
– Remember, your eating disorder does not define you. You are full of potential !
– Also, never ever let others again dictate what you should look like. There is always someone who will find a problem with how you look. You don’t have to be perfect for others as there is no such thing since everyone has a different idea of beauty. You should look the way you feel good about yourself and that’s all. Why don’t you stick a picture of a person that inspires you in your refrigerator and use her as a motivator to move forward 🙂
Like I always say :
“Anything is POSSIBLE in life as long as you have the VISION of your goal, the PLAN to achieve it, the COURAGE to take ACTION, and enough DETERMINTION to NEVER GIVE UP !”
Trust yourself, persevere and embrace the newfound freedom !!! 😀
About the Author
Cecile Bayeul is a Registered Nurse, International fitness model/author and natural female bodybuilding champion who beat anorexia by embarking into a fitness program. She believes that by embarking into a fitness program you can not only achieve any body that you want but you can take control of your life and take it anywhere you want! You can follow Cecile via her fan page: www.facebook.com/cecilebayeul, her twitter: www.twitter.com/cecilebayeul, her YouTube Channel: www.youtube.com/cecilebayeul or any of her sites: www.CecileBayeul.com and www.UniversityofAbs.com.