High Protein Blueberry Muffins
By Johnathan Zamora
Muffins are not usually considered a physique friendly breakfast food, however by utilizing Labrada Nutrition products in your recipes, (and making smart substitutions) you can create foods that are much better suited to feeding your active lifestyle. This week, we overhaul blueberry muffins & make them more Lean Body friendly. Read on to learn how –
By using Lean Body Breakfast MRP’s in this recipe – we are able to increase the protein content and keep the calorie count at a relatively low 140 calories per muffin. Unlike some “health muffins” these don’t taste like you’re chewing on rocks – the use of fresh blueberries and the slight increase in water in the recipe makes for a tasty morning treat. Try pairing a muffin with a cup of Greek yogurt and piece of fruit for an energy-packed breakfast. Make a batch of these at the beginning of the week or whip some up for a Sunday brunch – these muffins may earn a spot on your list of favorite foods. The muffins keep for about a week in an airtight container.
Blueberries have long been known as a super fruit – however research suggests there’s more to this good-for-you berry than previously thought. You may remember your parents telling you that carrots would help keep your eyes sharp, but as an adult it looks as though fruit may help boost your vision acuity. A study published in the Archives of Ophthalmology indicates eating three or more servings of fruit a day may lower your risk of age-related macular degeneration by up to 36%, compared to those who ate less than 2 servings per day. This is just one more reason to keep blueberries as one of your Lean Body staples.
For the following recipe, I used the Lean Body Breakfast – Blueberries & Cream MRP to help boost the protein power of the muffins. This, plus whole wheat flour, organic honey and a few other ingredients will have you munching on these tasty treats in no time!
Here is the recipe –
High Protein Blueberry Muffins
Yield: 1 dozen
2 packets Lean Body Breakfast MRP (Blueberries & Cream)
¾ cup Whole grain cereal (Bob’s Red Mill)
¾ cup Whole wheat flour
1 tsp. Baking powder
1 tsp. Salt
2 Tbs. Honey
2 ea. Egg whites
1 Tbs. Vegetable Oil
¾ cup Water
1 tsp. Vanilla extract
½ cup fresh blueberries
Method of Preparation:
– Preheat oven to 300 degrees –
1. In a large bowl, combine the first five ingredients and mix well.
2. In another bowl, combine the honey, egg whites, vegetable oil and vanilla – mix until well blended.
3. Stir the dry ingredients into the wet ingredients until a thick batter forms. Next, mix the blueberries into the batter.
4. In a muffin pan, spray PAM for baking into each cup. Gently wipe the excess PAM spray with a paper towel.
5. Place the muffins into the preheated oven for 22 minutes.
6. Remove from oven, pierce with toothpick to check for doneness. (Toothpick should come out clean.) Remove muffins from tins and allow to cool for 10 minutes before serving.
– Muffins keep for about 1 week in an airtight container.
Nutrition Facts – per muffin: 140 Calories; 2.5g Fat, 10g Protein, 18g Carbohydrates, 3g Fiber
The Fit Chef
Visit our YouTube Page at: www.youtube.com/labradanutrition
Click LIKE on our Facebook Fan Page at: http://www.facebook.com/#!/LabradaNutrition