Woohoo, this is my new fave drink, packed full of taste and health benefits and it won’t create the dreaded ‘stomach fluff’ syndrome; you know what I’m talking about, the softness around the middle from sugar! Plus it makes the house smell amazing and super festive. Ha, yes, I’m getting into the Winter and Holiday spirit! It’s a wonderful warming drink for this time of year and especially so, not just because of it’s thermogenic effects but because of it’s immune boosting, anti-bacterial, digestion aiding, pain reducing properties, oh and it’s also an aphrodisiac 😉
My girlfriends and I were talking the other day about our obsession with Chai Tea Lattes; the smell, taste, how awesome it is at this time of year and how festive it makes us feel but also, our not so fondness of the sugar, fat, dairy and calories 🙁
Well, me being me, won’t go without the things I love so I set about creating a healthy version. It takes about 25-30 minutes to prep and brew but I made a big batch that I decanted into water bottles that will last me the week; OK maybe a little less considering my addiction to it!
Serve it hot, cold, over ice, blended with ice or blended with chocolate, vanilla or cinnamon protein powder -YUM!
Another awesome way to make it is to follow the recipe until the end and then to pour 1 cold serving into a blender, add 1 scoop of Labrada Protein Powder (my fave is Labrada ISOlean Pro as it has zero gram carbohydrates and is lactose free), 1 cup of ice and whizz it all together in the blender for a Chai Protein Frappuccino! HEAVEN!
This 10 Calorie Dairy & Sugar free, Vegan, Chai Tea Latte Recipe contains only 1g of Fat Yet Full of Taste & Health Benefits!
Ingredients: Makes 4 Cups
1 Cinnamon Stick
1 tsp Ground Cardamon or 8 Whole Cardamon Pods
8 whole cloves
Fresh Peeled and Grated Ginger: 0.5″ for a mild cup, 1″ for some spice, 1.5″ for a firey cup
3 Cups Water
1 Cup Almond Milk (you can also use soy or coconut milk)
2 English/Black Tea Bags
Either 4 full squirts of liquid Stevia (I like the vanilla version) or 2 squirts; 1 tbsp of dark brown sugar (this will add 15 calories and 1.3g carbohydrates per cup)
- Peel and grate the ginger (using the larger hole side of the grater) into a dish or small bowl.
- Put 3 cups of water in a saucepan with all of the spices and ginger and bring to the boil, stirring occasionally, turn down the heat and allow to simmer for 5 minutes. Remove from the heat and allow to steep for 15 minutes.
- Return to the heat and boil, once boiling add the 2 tea bags, stir and remove from the heat. Leave to brew for 3-6 minutes depending on how strong you want the tea flavor to be.
- Strain the tea through a sieve and then pour the strained tea back into the saucepan and discard the teabags and spice residue.
- Mix in the Stevia and milk, then return to the heat for long enough to heat it up well again.
Serve and relax. Allow any remaining tea to cool before decanting into an airtight container and keep refrigerated.
1 cup serving with Stevia contains: 10 calories, 1g fat and 0.25g protein
Benefits of Ginger: I’ve been using a lot of this recently including in my breakfast due to it’s multiple benefits.
– Improves Digestion: helps with nausea, motion sickness, gas, constipation, stomach upsets, loss of appetitite. It’s not a new ‘superfood’ or some fad; the University of Maryland states that it’s been used in China for over 2,000 years to aid digestive problems.
– Detoxifying-has a thermogenic effect
– Anti-Inflammatory-the Gingerol compound is an anti-inflammatory that can ease muscle pain and it works well whether heated or raw.
– Helps ease period pains, migraines and can lower blood pressure (web.md)
Benefits of Cardamon:
– Helps with digestion problems similar those Ginger helps with.
– Can be used to treat minor infections such as colds, coughs and sore mouth and throat (WebMD)
Benefits of Cloves:
– Aids digestion (nausea, gas, motion sickness)
– Eases bad breath
– Aphrodisiac (Botanicalonline.com)
– Decreases pain, menstrual pain and muscle spasm
– Assists indigestion; relieves stomach upsets
– Boosts Immune system (Medical News Today)
– Regulates Blood Sugar
– Lowers LDL Cholesterol levels
– Lowers Blood Pressure
Eve Dawes is an accomplished fitness professional and NPC athlete with international experience as a dancer, model, host and personal trainer. You can visit Eve at any of her following: