Blueberry Shortbread Cookies
These grain-free, low sugar cookies are buttery, flakey, and melt in your mouth good! Adding blueberries to the recipe gives the traditional shortbread cookie a sweet and delicious makeover.
• 1/4 cup ghee or 4 Tbsp. clarified butter
• 2/3 cup xylitol
• 1 egg
• 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
• 1 scoop Lean Body for Her Whey Isolate
• 3/4 cup brown rice flour
• 3/4 cup almond meal flour
• 1 teaspoon baking powder
• 1 cup freeze dried blueberries
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Line a sheet pan with parchment paper and set aside.
2. Using a hand-held mixer, beat ghee butter and xylitol on medium speed for 2-3 minutes.
3. Beat in egg and extract on low speed until well combined.
4. Add in protein powder, flours, and baking powder. Blend on low speed until mixed well.
5. Stir in blueberries.
6. Using a small ice-cream scoop, drop cookies onto a sheet pan. Repeat until 24 cookies are made.
7. Bake in the oven for 8-12 minutes, or until cookie edges are light golden brown.
8. Store cookies in airtight container for up to 3 days. Or store in the fridge for up to a week.
*Ghee can be found in any health food store or in an International market in Indian section. You can clarify butter at home as an alternative. Gently melt unsalted butter on low heat in a saucepan until milk solids and water settle to the bottom and a clear yellow oil floats on top. Skim off foam and collect the clear yellow oil on top for use. Store in refrigerator. This is Clarified Butter = pure butterfat.
1 stick butter = 6 Tablespoons clarified butter.
Makes 24 Servings
1 Serving = 1 cookie
About the Author:
Nicolette Stramara believes in balance. Just because you’re eating healthy doesn’t mean you need to restrict your sweets. Her passion began in the kitchen, baking desserts for others. Nicolette’s drive to live a healthy lifestyle blended with her baking skills.
Over the years she began to experiment – baking with protein powder and other healthier ingredient alternatives. Now she loves to create mouthwatering desserts that deliver healthy, protein-packed flavors! From cupcakes and cookies to cheesecakes and pies, Nicolette shares her delicious protein treats for everyone to try.
My blog Protein Treats by Nicolette has all of my past and present recipes.
You can also visit my social media pages below:
Disclaimer: This content is for informational purposes only and is not meant as medical advice, nor is it to diagnose or treat any medical condition. Please consult your physician before starting or changing your diet or exercise program. Any use of this information is at the sole discretion and responsibility of the user.