The triceps pushdowns are an excellent bodybuilding exercise to work the triceps. With different cable attachments you can focus on different parts of the triceps.
One thing that I love about this exercise is the constant tension that the cables place on the triceps. Performed properly, this exercise will help you to stimulate new growth on the triceps.
Time Required: 30-40 seconds depending on amount of repetitions performed and setup time.
1. Attach a straight bar to a high pulley and grab with an overhand grip (palms facing down) at shoulder width. Note: Using a straight bar attachment with an overhand grip will work all three heads of the triceps equally.
2. Standing upright with the torso straight and a very small inclination forwards, bring the upper arms close to your body and perpendicular to the floor. The forearms should be pointing up towards the pulley as they hold the bar. This is your starting position.
3. Using the triceps, bring the bar down until it touches the front of your thighs and the arms are fully extended perpendicular to the floor. The upper arms should always remain stationary next to your torso and only the forearms should move. Exhale as you perform this movement.
4. After a second hold at the contracted position, bring the bar slowly up to the starting point. Breathe in as you perform this step.
5. Repeat for the recommended amount of repetitions.
1. For variation, you can use an e-z attachment as well as a v-angled bar that allows the thumb to be higher than the small finger.
2. Also, you can attach a rope to the pulley as well in order to emphasize the outer head of the triceps.
3. You can also use a reverse grip on the straight bar or on a single handle in order to emphasize the long inner head of the triceps.
What You Need:
- Cable machine
- Triceps bar attachment of choice