Let’s face it; no matter how simple it seems, losing weight is not easy. There are a lot of tasty snacks around, that fit a busy lifestyle, and are easy to grab when you’re in a hurry and feel like you’re starving. But even an occasional slip is going to put your weight loss plans off track, and it’s a lot harder than you think to fix it in the gym. So to help you out, here are 7 tips to avoid those dangerous snacks, and eating the right things to help you stay on target!
I’m sure you have read somewhere, or maybe someone’s told you, that it’s easy to lose weight. All you have to do is eat less and exercise more. Ok, that idea sounds good but in reality it’s not that easy and if you don’t have a plan it could be impossible!
I could take few hours to explain to you more in detail why it’s so hard, but I’m sure you don’t have that much time. And even if you do lose some weight this is only half of the battle – the other half is keeping the weight off.
Today I will tell you the 7 secrets to losing weight and keeping it off. Do not underestimate these 7 secrets. These are the keys to your success – to losing weight and keeping it off, trust me. This is not a quick-fix and I don’t believe in that. It’s a lifestyle change and this is why it’s so powerful. It’s not a diet – it’s not eating less, it’s eating differently.
1. You need to include the basics in your nutrition. This means a lot of vegetables, whole grains, beans, fruits and lean protein. The benefits of these selections are HUGE. They are packed with vitamins, minerals, fiber and antioxidants.
The vitamins and minerals will keep your body functioning to its optimum level. The fiber will give you a feeling of fullness, and in the mean time keep your digestive system working well. Antioxidants are molecules capable of slowing or preventing the oxidation of other molecules, which can produce free radicals. These start chain reactions that damage cells. The antioxidants will help to maintain your health and prevent diseases such as cancer and coronary heart disease.
For the lean protein, I suggest lean meats like chicken or turkey breast, fish and low fat dairy products. Don’t forget to add a good source of fat like extra virgin olive oil in salads, extra virgin coconut oil for cooking, and add a supplement of fish oil to your nutrition.
2. Eat less refined carbohydrates. What does that mean? You need to cut back or eliminate sweets like pastries, cookies, sugary sodas or commercial cereals. Go back to number 1 on the list and read it again to see which foods you need to focus on. Choose foods with higher amounts of fiber – at least 2 grams per serving.
3. One important thing to know is how many calories you need per day. This is called your ‘basal metabolic rate’ (BMR). The BMR is the amount of calories you need each day for the function of your vital organs (heart, lungs, kidneys, nervous system, intestine, liver, lungs, sex organs, muscles and skin – yes skin is the biggest organ in your body). I have a formula for you to work out your calorie requirements, and it’s quite easy to follow.
English BMR Formula
Women: BMR = 655 + ( 4.35 x weight in pounds ) + ( 4.7 x height in inches ) – ( 4.7 x age in years )
Men: BMR = 66 + ( 6.23 x weight in pounds ) + ( 12.7 x height in inches ) – ( 6.8 x age in year )
Metric BMR Formula
Women: BMR = 655 + ( 9.6 x weight in kilos ) + ( 1.8 x height in cm ) – ( 4.7 x age in years )
Men: BMR = 66 + ( 13.7 x weight in kilos ) + ( 5 x height in cm ) – ( 6.8 x age in years )
4. Drink plenty of water. Your body is estimated to be about 60 to 70 percent water. Blood is mostly water, and your muscles, lungs, and brain all contain a lot of water. Your body needs water to regulate body temperature and to provide the means for nutrients to travel to all your organs. Water also transports oxygen to your cells, removes waste, and protects your joints and organs.
Reduce your consumption of fruit juice, pop or alcoholic beverages. Water is water, and water is best.
5. Keep a nutrition log to keep track of your eating habits. This will help you to stay focused and make better choices with your nutrition. I understand this is not fun, but it’s one of the key components to your success. I suggest you to keep your nutrition log for 6 to 8 weeks. That’s long enough to make some good changes in your nutrition habits and see how many calories you are eating per day.
6. The timing of your nutrition. Rather than eating the traditional 3 square meals a day, try to eat 5 or 6 smaller meals a day at about 3 hour intervals. If you do this, you will keep your body fuelled with nutrients, you will avoid hunger and therefore the temptation to snack, and you will keep your metabolism high. This will help you stay energized for work and play, and will help you to burn stored fat. But make sure you make good food choices for your meals.
7. Planning your meal. This is very important. You need to sit down the night before – or even a week ahead – and look at your schedule and make a plan for your meals and snacks each day. Make sure you bring enough food with your for the day. The worst scenario for you is if you are hungry and have no food ready – that’s when you make some bad selections because you want a quick fix!
On Sunday night I always spend 1 or 2 hours preparing my food for the week. I cut my vegetables and store them in plastic containers, cook few meals for the week and freeze them. I always have some cans of tuna, sardines, or egg whites for emergencies. I always have some veggies ready to eat, so it’s easy to prepare my lunch, or ready when I’m back to work and need to get my food ready in record time!
If you start to take action today and implement these 7 secrets of nutrition in your life you will get results. Don’t forget to be consistent. You cannot lose weight by doing well for few weeks, and after that take a break for 2 or 3 weeks and come back to your good habits after.
Remember to make the most of your nutrition you need to do some exercise. A lot of people don’t know what to do in a gym, and this is why in my Guide to Express Fat Loss I have designed the best exercise selection for fat loss. All exercises have pictures and descriptions, and are very easy to follow. Each of these exercises is great for a weight loss program.
To read more about the Express Fat Loss Program visit ExpressFatLoss.com
Keep Moving, Stay Fit,
Martin Bolduc, CPT, ACE, BCRPA
** Martin Bolduc is the author of the Ultimate Guide to Express Fat Loss and the winner of the Lean Body Challenge 2008. Martin is a Certified Personal Trainer ACE and BCRPA and a natural bodybuilder. Martin helps hundreds of clients to reach their goals. Get your Special Report on Express Fat Loss